When you’re stuck at home it’s so easy to snack. The quarantine combined with a lot of parents’ decision to start their children in virtual learning this year has opened up a lot of potential for snacking possibilities! The pantry is just right there, and while you’re working at home it just makes sense to snack. Not to mention, snack foods are delicious. While at home, we have access to the entirety of our kitchen, so it’s easy to eat whatever comes to mind.
However, even in unprecedented times, it’s important to value your oral health. A day working from home gives you more access to lots of meals that may not be the best foods for your teeth.
Snack Suggestions For Braces
- Breads—pancakes, soft tortillas, nut-free muffins
- Dairy—pudding, soft cheeses, yogurt
- Fruit—applesauce, bananas, raspberries
- Meats/poultry—meatballs, lunch meats, soft-cooked chicken
- Seafood—tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Sweets— frozen yogurt, smoothies
- Veggies—soften any vegetable by steaming or boiling
Snacks to Stay Away From
- Chewy or sticky foods— bagels, gummies, caramels
- Crunchy snacks—ice, chips, popcorn, pretzels, tortilla chips
- Hard nibbles—nuts, candies, lollipops
- Foods you bite into—apples, carrots, corn on the cob
Patients with aligners
You’ve got more flexibility if you wear aligners. Nothing is off limits, but a healthy diet is best. Just take your aligners out before you eat, and clean your teeth thoroughly before putting your aligners back in.
Water is the only beverage you should drink when your aligners are in. Remove them if you want to quench your thirst with something else like a diet soda or a sports drink. Brush your teeth before putting your aligners back in.
Be smart when you snack. Get the smile you want while satisfying your cravings.